St. Gabriel Catholic Parish School History
A Proud Legacy
Over 125 Years of Excellence in Catholic School Education
- In 1887 construction began on St. Hubert Parochial School. Seventy children began classes in 1888.
- In 1906 a second teacher was assigned to the school. It was also divided into two classrooms with four grades in each. The nuns taught the children how to live as well as how to read and write.
- The church was redecorated in 1931. The sacristy was remodeled in 1935. In 1938 there were 74 families in the parish and 58 students enrolled in school.
- By May of 1953 parishioners raised more than $41,000 for the construction of a new school. Before the school could be completed, enrollment rose to 103 pupils. The school was completed in April of 1954. In 1957 three new classrooms were added.
- During the 1962-63 school year, it became necessary to build new classroom space. Two more classrooms were added. In 1964 there were 290 parish families and school enrollment was close to 300 students.
- In 1974 a fund drive raised $125,000 for an addition to the school. This addition included the library/learning center, three more classrooms and the school office.
- In 1984 additional property on the east side of the school was purchased.
- In 1996 the parish celebrated its 150th anniversary. Records at the end of the sesquicentennial year show that there were 520 families and 151 day school students. On June 1, 1997 Fr. Charles Hanel became Pastor. On July 1, 1998, St. Hubert Parish began to collaborate with St. Columba Parish. Soon after, St. Mary Parish joined in the collaboration.
- On July 21, 2002, St. Gabriel Parish celebrated the combining of the three parishes. St. Hubert School became St. Gabriel School.
- Today St. Gabriel Catholic Parish School boasts SMART Board technology in every classroom as well as 1:1 Chromebooks in grades 3-8. In addition, St. Gabriel test scores consistently remain consistently significantly higher than National percentiles. Today Catholic Identity and high expectations in academics remain the focus at St. Gabriel Catholic Parish School.
- St. Gabriel School has been awarded Exemplary Recognition by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee in the areas of the Professional Staff, was awarded 11 commendations in the accreditation process in the areas of:
- Catholic Identity
- Foundational Statements
- School Improvement Planning
- After School Learning Program
- Educational Leadership
- Student Services
- Community Relationship
- School Climate